Tuesday 5 November 2013

Rugby and beer (photo added)

due to it being Africa there will be no pictures until tomorrow. The internet in work has broken and so this is from home and pictures kill our costs. Thank you for your cooperation.
 
 
4th November

 

New month. Another one down. Where to start this week. At first I thought there wouldn’t be much to talk about on this weeks postings because we had nothing organised. But of course something always crops up.

 

So last time we spoke I told you I was off cycling with Martin, who is one of the national coaches. Well as you are reading this I survived but only just. So Tuesday evening I went round to Martin’s house where he got changed and then suggested a gentle 10k ( he normally does 40 to 50 each morning). I stupidly agreed and so off we went, he with his very nice hard tailed mountain bike, me with my cobbled together bike I found in the shed. The seat is too low and I have since discovered the brakes don’t work – it seems to be a common theme out here!

So we start down a bumpy path, then down a dirt road, then down a concrete road, back to dirt again. You may have noticed the same thing I did after around twenty minutes. It was all down hill. Quite a steep hill. I politely enquired whether our 10k was a nice circular route? It was not. Martins plan was to turn round and cycle back up. This revelations was at the same time the cow walking back up the hill passed out, keeled over and died of exhaustion. No I’m not joking it genuinely did! Not to appear too ungrateful I agreed we would go to the next bridge and turn round.

Well I beat the cow. That is the only thing I can say. Martin calmly cycled up the hill chatting away, to problem at all. I wheezed half way up the hill ( yes Mum and Tina, I had my inhaler and no it didn’t help!) and then had to have a rest. At one point I had 3 year olds running alongside laughing at the poor azungu (white man) dying whilst trying to cycle up a hill. We also found a trail of blood which after the next bend we realised was the cow, now on a cart being pushed by a bunch of villagers. Spurned on by the thought of a similar fate, and also my pride which was taking a battering I decided I would cycle passed them. Which I did. Right around the corner where I promptly got off and pushed the thing!

When we eventually got home my shirt was soaking, it was about 28 deg I reckon when we went out. But I have also discovered that Mountain Bikes are much cheaper over here and may be investing if I can find out how much it is to get it flown back!

 

Wednesday was the last day for my architect Pamela, who is has gone from 38 degrees ( that was Sat) to the 8 degrees of Glasgow! So anyway she was leaving Wednesday and decided to having leaving drinks...as you do. One crate (20 bottles) of fanta, one of coke, and two of greens (Carlsberg). I had spoken to our foreman and asked him to come up with some pretence to hold the work force back and so at 4.30 Pamela turned up with the drinks. What she, and to be fair I, had expected was to put the crates down, everyone comes across and takes a drink and we all stand around and have a chat.

No. What happened was they were all sitting round in a giant circle. The crates were put in the middle with Pamela on a table and Vaida (HR) took a register inviting people to come up one at a time to take a drink. To make matters worse it turns out most of our work force either don’t drink or didn’t want to in front of the bosses. Fanta ran out first, then coke, and we had a full crate of greens left. It was intimated that some may have thought it a test to see who drank and then they would be fired. I swiftly step into the breach and had a beer to demonstrate this was not the case but to now avail. It was by far the single most awkward thing I have seen out here! I now know what not to do when I leave.

So Pamela is the one sitting on the bench and the construction team can be seen in the far distance. The guy in the yellow shirt was official bottle opener!
 
So Thursday some of Pam’s colleagues had organised a good old fashioned pub quiz. The teams had to be mixed due to a variety of nationalities, so Pam and I were split up.  Initial Pam’s team won, but then the MC forgot to award my team our bonus points so we won. Until we got the papers back and one of the other teams couldn’t added up and Pam’s team won...again.

 

And so onto Saturday. Well there was a rugby game. Australia and England. Now I have only found one Australian so far and she’s not that into sport, which is disappointing. Anyway Malawi and all Malawian sports bars are obsessed with English Football. They all support one of four teams; Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and of course Man Utd. So we thought hmm best check if our local, which only has one TV, will show the rugby. Felix said of course as long as it doesn’t clash with his team Arsenal. It didn’t so at 4.00 four of us went to the bar. At 4.30 Felix turned over the Chelsea match even though it had 3 minutes left to go and the locals were not happy. I told him to turn it back until it was finished and then we settled in to watch England beat Australia. I also had to explain the rules of rugby to the 20 or so Malawians in the bar who had no idea what was going on. It also meant that we missed most of the Man U game, but the three goals were scored at half time in the rugby and so no-one really minded .

Sunday was spent recovering from Saturday as it has been a while since I have drunk and I decided to stay and bond with the locals. One who had a great affinity for tequila! A dip in the pool the next morning did wonders!

 

STATMAN

Rugby Score – Eng 20 – 13 Aus

No of Aussies that might read this – 1 Hello Jannette J

Actual Km cycled – 6

Number of Malawians that understood rugby after my explanation – 1

Number of Tequilas drank – 1 too many.

Science experiments conducted – 3. An empty coke bottle will fill up and the right itself  if placed in the pool.  The empty fanta bottle will fill up but then upend itself and float in the pool. And the three surface storm water drains where we live are not connected.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment