Wednesday 2 April 2014

Back to Blantyre with a bang

Tina stayed in our little compound for the remainder of her time. Tuesday I was dragged round all the shops that the city possesses but then was dragged to Bombay palace in the evening which is a lovely Indian restaurant so I didn’t complain too much at that.
Wednesday I decided to avoid being dragged round the remaining shops in Blantyre so Pam and Momma T had a day to themselves. I stayed home and tried to get my head round the fifth draft of my novel while the ladies went to the hospital – no don’t worry neither was injured. It was more to see where Pam has been working for the last seven months ( I know time flies!).
Wednesday night we decided to go for a real treat and that was to our favourite restaurant out here L’Hostaria. A very nice Italian. And it was top nommage. And we sampled some more delicious food from their menu and more delicious wine from their cellar.
No don’t get me wrong, there is not a theme developing here but Thursday we went for afternoon tea at a very lovely tea estate called Satemwa. We were shown round a very nice house, built in an Italian style because the original owner’s wife was from Tuscany and felt home sick. It is still a working tea and coffee estate.
The house, the croquet lawn and our little party on the left

So the afternoon was spent eating sandwiches, little cakes, big chocolate cakes and scones with cream and jam. But don’t worry we burnt off all those calories with a vigorous game of croquet and a stroll around the garden.
Mini cakes and truffles


Tea, sandwiches, chocolate cake and scones
Our exercise also continued with scratching due to the presents of the delightful little bug called a Thyolo (pronounced Cholo) fly. Wow do those buggers bite and man do they itch afterwards. All of us were seen to be scratching like a dog with fleas!

Friday we said goodbye to Pam’s mum. Luckily the Airport was open and we didn’t have to make the 8 hour round trip to Lilongwe as suspected.  Then we were invited to our neighbours for a cocktail party.
We did have instructions for said drinks but our host thought they were more like guidelines! I lost count how many drinks I had but I know there was some delicious ones and some not so delicious ones – don’t worry they all got drunk – the drinks not the people – well maybe the people as well.

Saturday was a lazy day lying by the pool thinking of all the food we didn’t have but wanted to eat – the list was long but not exhaustive!

Sunday we said goodbye to our neighbours – well actually that was this morning (tues) but we had a big ol’ party for them with guess what! Yep more food, there was flapjacks, popcorn, sausages, pasta salad, chicken, bread, doughnuts, beer, wine and probably loads of stuff that I have missed out. So yes after 7 months Helen and Thia have left, it will be a lot quieter around the place, which will be both good and bad – but such is the transient nature of the adventure we have embarked on. It is actually true of a lot of the people you meet in the city as well. We can be broken down into those who are here for a limited time and those who have moved out here permanently or live here. I suppose it is what gives Blantyre the community it does.
The Garden at Satemwa


Monday was once more into the breach as I tried to rearrange my brain to accommodate past and present tense integrated in a succinct and readable style. We shall have to wait to see if it is a success.

This little fella was seen on Sunday morning

And then that brings us to today. Not a great day I’ll be honest. Most of the work that has been done whilst I was on holiday is erm wrong and so we need to put right. And on top of that I have forgotten to bring in my memory stick to work so there are no photos. Question is do I publish tonight or publish tomorrow morning. I think it better to wait till tomorrow, give you the full hit. I’ll post a temporary notice up tonight – a tease - apologies I didn't.






 STATMAN

Food eaten at Satemwa per person - 4 sandwiches, 2 Truffles and 1 of each of the following, scone, chocolate cake, passion fruit tart, almond slice, sponge cone, cinnamon whirl - I think that is it.

Number of bites - I counted 23 between ankle and knee on both legs
Itching lasts - 1 week
Types of alcohol drunk at neighbours - 10 -champagne, vodka, rum, amarula, wine, malibu, galliano, gin, triple sec and raspberry liqueur.
Goals scored at footy tuesday night - oh at least 15!!
Days Tina stayed - 14
Days till my parent arrive - 15


No comments:

Post a Comment