Tuesday 10 December 2013

D&V, SA and A&F


9th December

 

They’ve found me out! They have found me and they have found me out! No not the charity about the fact that I don’t know what I am doing and am making it up as I going along. No I mean the other volunteers. One of them has been snooping around the internet and has found this blog. It means I have to be more circumspect about what I post! Ha.

In actual fact it does raise an interesting question as to how honest this blog is. The truth is it is honest in what is put up here but dishonest by omission. There are things I haven’t posted for various reasons, some because it would be unprofessional. Some because it could be classed as libel and I could find myself in a spot of bother and some because my parents would worry.

 
Anyway on with the show. Well this week has been are relatively quiet week, forced upon me due to the illness I mentioned last week. Wednesday was mostly spent in bed trying to retain fluids but by Thursday I managed a whole six chips at dinner. To be fair even Friday I was still pretty tired but I received an unexpected visit from our HR manager. Just to see how I was. She arrived with our PR representative, not sure if that is part of her role, and a carton of guava juice. It was very nice too.

So Saturday I felt strong enough to face the world and we ventured out to the local shops. It would appear that event Blantyre has a chapter of the Salvation Army and they were playing for money at the local Mall. There performance was....well....lets settle for enthusiastic.

 
Following that we decided to treat ourselves to some lunch at one of the nice local hotels where the waiter decided it would be a good idea to throw a bottle of coke over me. Nice.
Lunch was very nice, coffee, followed by bbq chicken kebab with rice. And to really push the boat out we had tea and an ‘English Tea Scone’. When said scone arrived it was pre cut with a splodge of jam. When we enquired if there was any cream or butter the waiter nodded. Luckily I was more cautious with the butter when it returned only using the packaged stuff, Pam was more adventurous and spread the unknown knob on her scone and was surprised to find that it was infact garlic butter. This is the same hotel that has been known on more than one occasion to server ham and cheese croissants on pain au chocolates!

 

So as in Europe it is the same in Africa and Sunday followed Saturday. It started with a bang when the fire the guards set to burn stuff ( they burn everything over here. Bunch a pyromaniacs the lot of ‘em. All our rubbish gets burnt in a pit in the ground.) but they hadn’t known about the plastic water pipe underneath. I’d like to say I saved the day but really it was one of the guards John, who with nothing more than a strip of rubber and a crisp packet (empty) bound up the leaking section. I did find the stop cock that turned off the supply that allowed him to perform the same trick on the second leak which occurred moments later.

 

 
Disaster averted we went clothes shopping. Here is the market that we ventured down and of course you are white and so must visit every single shop. We do get harassed quite a lot out here and surprisingly prices seem to multiply when we appear.  Most, if not all the clothes at this particularly market, are second hand and I think come from charities across the world. Not sure on how they end up being sold for profit over here but there you are. I found a very nice pair of shorts that I liked but declined due to the fact the man wanted £10. He did try and convince me that they were genuine Abercrombie and Fitch, but I did have to point out that they were in fact genuine Abercrombe and Eitch.

 

One last issue that is slowly but steadily raising its head is the weather. Not the rain, more the lack of rain. After the post with the picture and all the water and the big downpour, well everyone planted their seeds expecting the rains to come but no more have. There is the first murmurings of drought and prices of food are already starting to rise. The sad truth of it is that a lot of families out here rely on the country’s ability to produce maize. That coupled with the cash gate scandal – the ‘alleged*’ government theft meaning that a lot of foreign financial aid has stopped coming into the country it could be a testing few months.

 

*this is to ensure I don’t get deported or jailed. What!? It works for Have I Got News For You!

 

STATMAN

Amount of money the government allegedly* stole – 14 billion kwacha (24 million pounds)

Number of notes the Salvation army hit – ½ - not half a note in the whole time we were there, half the notes they attempted.

Cost of our fancy pants lunch - £12

Height of the maize – 1 foot

Height the maize should be – 3 foot

Months since I was last clean shaven – er when did Graham get married?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment