Tuesday 3 June 2014

Drama, drama, drama!

It has all been happening this week.

We have a new president. After all the posturing and palaver Peter Mutharika has been sworn in as the new President of Malawi. Congratulations Peter (just in case he’s reading!)

But I am getting ahead of myself. Far ahead of myself.

Work was quite quiet this week due to a slow cash flow and not many materials available. We decided to build a mock up for the solar panel which involved me and the American – Bill Washington – yes that is his real name – trapped in a scorching hot container trying to work out which way round a solar panel sits – the answer is the shiny side up!


On me 'ed son!

I also instructed my JCB driver to dig up the football much to the distress of the local children. I haven’t learnt the Chichewa for ‘I need to put the drainage runs in so that we can continue making the pitch bigger and better for you.’

Pam with some delightful children

The weekend was to be our trip to the Lake, and to be fair it was but that was when the drama started. We are cruising up in our convoy of two, until maybe some where past half way our convey became one. I looked in the mirror and saw nothing. I pulled over. I waited. Eventually we turned round and found the second car stopped on the side of the road. By this time a wonderful Irish lady called Gillian had stopped and was assisting. She owns a big ol’ Hillux that could pull a tank so we were dispatched with Smickey our local guide to find a rope. Every village for the next 20km claimed it’s market would have a rope, but none did. Eventually we came upon a police check point and after some negotiations managed to arrange to leave the car at their office – for a fee – and gain some rope. But by the time we returned to the vehicle a lorry driver had already provided some. We then left the car there and carried on to Cape MacLear arriving come two hours later than intended. We then had a beer or three.

Messing about on the lake
I would like to say the weekend passed uneventfully but oh well. Saturday was fun, we lounge, we shopped, we ate, then we took the boat out and swam and saw lots of birds.

A visitor in the shower
Sunday we did a bit more shopping then I had to pick up a man in the next town to do some surveying for Smickey on some land he has to turn into a lodge. Well the people on the land didn’t appreciate this and started a mini riot. Whereupon we scooped in the Land Registry man and drive out of dodge. The others had left earlier to go and get the car.

Saturday night live

Using telephone boxes to there full potential

Catching up with them on the road was hampered by all the ministers and diplomats travleeing to Blantyre for the inauguration of El President, so by the time we caught up with them joe had no brakes and no battery. I was driving a fourth car by this point as it needed to get back to Blantyre to, so cruised behind with my hazards on trying to warn idiot drivers there was a car being towed. Eventually we made it back, tired but alive!

Monday I spent reading my story. But I have read it that many times it is difficult to know what it sounds like anymore! Oh well.

That and we didn’t have any water. So I spent most of this morning tracing water pipes and trying to understand how our system works. I gave up and told the plumber to buy all that he needed to fix it!
And that people was the week that was.






Quick note I have updated the previous two posts with pictures of the football and the walk up Michiru.

STATMAN
Hours to get to Cape – 6 ½
Kids I taught to shuffle – 8
Paediatricians that got wee’d on – 2 (they were too keen to get involved with the babies)
Number of Smickey’s relatives we met – Millions (with the exchange rate that is about 30)
Birds seen on the lake – Fish Eagle, Pied Kingsfishers, Some sort of egret, a red breasted whatsitsname, and a trumpet hornbill. (I will look them up and tell you next week).
Times the rope came off the car during towing – 5
Time taken to get back to Blantyre – 5 hours

Aviva Premiership Final Scores – Northampton 24 Saracens 20  (Had to mention it somewhere!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment