Tuesday 4 February 2014

Phone down...

We have a phone down (screamed in an American War Film style).

It is not as bad as it sounds. It still phones and still takes pictures but, and here is the crux, it won't connect to the computer. As it's an iPhone that means I can get the photos off or put any music on. Which is really annoying as due to the lack of photo's in last weeks blog I made sure I was snap happy. I will see what can be arranged but here is the text anyway with references to photos that are not present!

February 3rd 2014

Hair today

As I sit here on my khonde on a Monday afternoon in the warmth and sunshine I cast my mind far away to all my friends in the UK and wonder what they are doing right now. Then I realise they are still in work on a no doubt cold and dreary Monday afternoon. In the words of Nelson from the Simpsons.....HAA HAA. I might go for a swim later J


My team of builders are flying ahead as well. The most exciting and current project at the moment is the Solar Panels that we are attempting to install. All 108 of them. They will sit on a car park canopy soaking up the African sun and generating enough juice to power 3/4 s of the education site we work at. But part of that instalment is the battery house. The batteries will be stored there – we’re accurate in our building names if not imaginative. Anyway this is the first really thing that I feel I have built since I have been out here that was all since I came. I know it is not large but then it took 9 days to build! That is because the magic mud bricks we use don’t require mortar. They’re like lego bricks – interlocking although not as bright.

We had a friend round for tea on Wednesday. It was a little bit like the Tiger Who Came For Tea, except it was a bat, and it didn’t drink all the water in the taps, and we didn’t go out and buy bat food afterwards. But apart from that is was completely the same. He must have come in under the door and then proceeded to do laps of the lounge during dinner. Damn thing was too fast to take a picture of it but if you look closely you can see the shadow on the wall. My Dad will be proud of the way I handled it. By opening the back door and holding up a material picture at the correct angle. Yep as he completed his circuited he ricocheted out the door. Boom. Those evenings watching Dad chase them with a badminton racquet finally paid off. (the bat is just above the top left corner of the poster and the shadow is on the wall)

One of the Blantyre Rugby franternaty was leaving this week so Thursday night was spent playing rugby and saying goodbye as all good rugby clubs know how to. The drink in the blender is a local drink invented by the club – known as Branta. Brandy and Fanta. It is an acquired taste I feel and I did my best but by the end of thusday or actually by Friday morning I was still not fully sold on it.

Saturday came and with more rugby. The start of the six nations and being in Malawi there is only one way to get to the pub. In the back of a truck. Lucky for me it’s my truck so I was in the front with the rest in the back. I think they felt quite Malawian and yes they got quite a few shouts and waves.

 The only problem with going in the back, apart from the pot holes, is the rain. This is especially important during rainy season. But again if you’re the driver it is not so much of a problem!! J


And Sunday was spent mostly keeping out of the way of Pam and her hairdressing party. She has had extensions and braids put in. Lisa you will love it. It also looks a damn sight better than when she last had it done when there was no additionally hair and all you could see was her scalp!



Number of Batteries in the house – 24
Weight of each battery – 250kg!
Days taken to build house – 9 (thought I would repeat it as it is so impressive)
People in the back of the truck  - 4
People working on Pam’s hair – 3
Number of extension packs – 5
Time taken – 6, yes six hours!
Kilometres the bug survived on the bonnet - 15









No comments:

Post a Comment