Tuesday 28 January 2014

Hot and Sweaty

28th January 2014

Yep that is right – it is and I was. Specifically on Thursday night. It was the first night of rugby for me in Malawi. I had searched all over Blantyre for rugby shorts and could I find them, could I chuff. But I did get me a very nice pair of football boots for about 8 quid. I was there keen as mustard and looking like Bill Shankly. The only pair of shorts suitable were some over sized swimming shorts that stopped just below my knees. Not to be deterred I rolled them over and over and over and played. Man was it hot and soon I looked like a competitor in a wet T-Shirt competition. But it was a good run out and a good bunch of lads. And you will all be happy to know that I have purchased some rugby socks and running shorts (it’s only touch so they should survive) for this weeks installment.
Friday I stayed home and wrote all day. Not convinced still by the new book but persevering.
Natalie, one of the volunteers, turned 25 (again) and Saturday was our night to go out and celebrate. The good thing about it being so hot out here is that you can sit out and eat in the evenings. A curry was had by all and it was very nice. Mine was exceptionally nice and it was the first time I have eaten a Chilli Garlic Cheese Naan before. Won’t be the last either! Photos to be posted later maybe if I get them.
Big news of Saturday thought was that we finally got our box. So this is the box that arrived in December.  We have been arguing with customs over it but eventually we got it. And have put up all the Christmas decorations. We also received a game called Bohnaza or something like that. But we call it beans. And by the end of Sunday I think everyone in our compound had experienced the game of beans. Sooooo addictive.
We, by we I mean Pam, also tried out her new swimming costume on Sunday as the weather was simply delightful.
Incidentally Pam has had a very good week, and on Wednesay, ( I think) she was left in charge of the ward by herself. The consultant had somewhere else to be. I don’t know where - somewhere alright! It all went fine, well as fine as it ever does in a poor Malawi hospital ward.
And yesterday, well yesterday only needs one word. And the word is Jack. So Jack is a puppy belonging to a friends guard. And it is fair to say that Jack was not well looked after. I think the guard thought that she (yeah I don’t know and no it’s not short for Jackie or anything.) would find her own food. Well she didn’t. And she got very thin and then she caught some sort of virus and got D&V. So Pam decided to rescue her. Feeding it 5mls of oral rehydration fluid every 5 mins, feeding her egg, and took her to the vets for some jabs. The vet things it’s 50/50 but she was still alive this morning and is now living with one of Pam’s colleagues so fingers crossed she will be alright.
I know she looks like an advert for the RSPCA, but all we are asking is for two pounds a month this dog could live like a king over here……only joking. We don’t want your money. Well we do, but we ain’t going to get it.
For the dog lovers out their (Anton) there is not really a specific breed, it is described as a ‘local terrier’.
I would post a picture but I will leave it to see what the result is going to be. Maybe I will do a before and after. We shall see.
Oh yeah and last night did it rain! Wow. Pam and I were both keep awake by the noise of the thunder and lightning and the rain bouncing off the metal sheet roof of our house.
So that is it.

STATMAN
Rugby played for – 90 mins
Sweat lost – at least 4 pints, maybe even 5
Tries scored by moi – 1 ( don’t want to show them up on my first visit)
Time taken to get box – 47 days
Money customs wanted – 96,682 Kwacha
Money Customs were owed – 49,359 Kwacha
Money Customs got – 30,000 kwacha
Fluid Jack received – 5mls/5mins/for most of the afternoon!

How much rain fell last night – 37 cats and 62 dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment